วันศุกร์, สิงหาคม 24, 2550

ข้อแตกต่างระหว่าง WAIT and AWAIT

wait แตกต่างจาก await อย่างไร?
อ้างอิงจาก ที่นี่: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1535_questionanswer/page15.shtml

AWAIT and WAIT: to sum up, there are two kinds of difference
  • grammartical difference
    • the verb `await’ must have an object
      • ex. I am awaiting for your answer.
      • the object of 'await' is normally inanimate, not a person, and often abstract.
      • »So you can't say, 'John was awaiting me'.
    • the verb `wait’ can come in different structures.
      • »Use `wait on its own à ex. We have been waiting and waiting and nobody has come to talk to us.
      • »Use `wait with another verb à ex. I waited in line to go into the theatre.
      • »Use `wait with the length of time à ex. I have been waiting here for at least half an hour.
      • »Use `wait to mention what or who the speaker have been waiting for à ex. I have been waiting for Joe for two hours!.
  • Formality difference
    • `await’ is more formal than `wait’ , so it would be used in formal writing.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: