วันอาทิตย์, ตุลาคม 01, 2549

An attempt to install TimeSys Linux 2.6

I tried to compile and install TimeSys Linux 2.6, a real-time OS based on Linux kernel from TimeSys corp. The kernel installation was succeeded, BUT there're few problems I cannot solve. At the boot time, there are many device probe failure said about ``modprobe QM_MODULES function not implemented'' and my wireless PC-Card was not functioned---said the device is busy or in use. Here are some quick and dirty note on the installation.

  1. cd to the $KERNEL directory
  2. There is no .config file at first place, so I have to make it by ``make menuconfig'' and save to get the default? config.
  3. Configure the kernel by make xconfig is much easier to see the options, so I choose to do so. Unfortunately, it required QT which I didn't have. Therefore, I was forced to install QT first from the installation CD #2 and #3. Actually, other alternative is to use ``make gconfig'' which run on Gtk, instead of ``make xconfig''.
  4. Configure the kernel. For the power management issue, I think ACPI is preferable ove APM. Make sure that EXT3 File System is selected otherwise, reboot will fail.
  5. make
  6. make modules_install
  7. make install
  8. About device probing failure, I searched the web and found that module-init-tools should be install after installing the new kernel. Get it from kernel.org and install as usual: ./configure --prefix=/ && make && make install
  9. then generate modprobe.conf by execute $ generate_modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: